- 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tea bag (preferably Earl Grey)
- 1 750-ml bottle dry red wine
- Crushed ice (if serving punch chilled)
Combine water, honey, sugar, ginger, cloves, allspice and vanilla bean in heavy large saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until honey and sugar dissolve. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add tea bag; let steep 5 minutes. Strain syrup into bowl. Add wine and rum. If serving cold, refrigerate until chilled. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
If serving cold, fill 6 glasses with crushed ice. Ladle punch into glasses. If serving hot, bring to simmer in medium saucepan. Pour punch into cups.